Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Need Education on KT-100 engines

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Need Education on KT-100 engines
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Aug 2nd, 2020 06:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Ron Reaves 1

Mana: 
Hey guys, I have all older vintage karts and Mac Engines.  However, I recently became the proud owner of eight (8) Yamaha KT-100 engines.   They look good and have been in storage since the 1980s.   Where can I learn about them?   These were used on ultra-lite airplanes and changed out for larger engines by a dealer who installed floats on the ultra-lights. 

I don't want to spend the money to have them rebuilt, and I can't do it myself, but I'd like to get one or two running to keep.  I will probably sell the rest.  Would like to see if the others will run before I sell them. 

Any advice?   I do have a Margay Panther X and a Margay Concept I could put the ones on I keep.
Any advice?  Thanks guys...Ron

Attachment: KT100 Pic2.jpg (Downloaded 148 times)

Last edited on Sun Aug 2nd, 2020 10:38 pm by Ron Reaves 1

Posted: Tue Aug 4th, 2020 05:24 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Ron Reaves 1

Mana: 
Can anyone suggest a forum or website where I could learn more about these engines.  All I have done to them is clean them up externally, I removed the heads and measured the cylinders and put some klotz in them before I turned the crank to move the pistons.  The cylinders all look pretty good and the ports are all unmodified.
I am wondering why the ultralight folks all turn the cylinder heads one bolt over, I was told it had to do with cooling and the movement of air because of prop blast, but I dont know.  There are no mods at all that I can see.   They all use recoil starters and clutches with belt drive.
Is it safe to try to start these?   The bottom ends are pretty well sealed do I really have to open them to be sure the lower end is lubricated enough to start? 

Compression seems no where near that of Macs. 

Any comments/advice?   Thx...

Posted: Wed Aug 5th, 2020 10:15 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Brett Mallory

Mana: 
If you go to "Bob's 4 Cycle" forum there's a section on 2 cycles. If you search the old posts there's quite a bit on there about KT100's.

If you do Facebook, you might look through "Sprint Kart Classifieds and Tech" and "Post Vintage Karts '80's and '90's". There's quite a bit of KT100 info on those too.

I'd say you made a pretty good score right there!

Posted: Wed Aug 5th, 2020 05:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Ron Reaves 1

Mana: 
Thanks for you response Brett.  I will check out those sources.  I will be posting more about these as I learn more.  

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2020 09:24 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Terry Bentley

Mana: 
I have built hundreds of KT's. What do you want to know? They are still currently being run.

The ultralight models got popular in the late 70's. A lot of them I have worked on were straight shaft models. KT100C.

Hartman built a lot of components for them using standard kart parts. HTD belt drive and slipper clutches.

In 1986 rule changes opened up the restrictions on a stock KT100. Much more power and lead the way to major improvements to the expansion chambers.

Last edited on Tue Aug 11th, 2020 09:30 pm by Terry Bentley

Posted: Sat Aug 15th, 2020 01:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Tom Day

Mana: 
There is a book available on ebay that tells you pretty much everything

Posted: Sat Aug 15th, 2020 02:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Ron Reaves 1

Mana: 
Terry, Thanks for your response.  Sorry for the delayed response.  I had a light heart attack 2 days after I made this post and have been in the hospital and recovering since.  I'm just getting back to these posts.    That is good information.  These engines all have tapered shafts, and Hartman belt clutches as in the photo.  Is there a use for these clutches in todays world?   As I get a little stronger, I'll surely have more questions.  Thanks...Ron

Posted: Sat Aug 15th, 2020 02:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Ron Reaves 1

Mana: 
Hi Tom, sorry for slow response.   I just ordered that book and look forward to reading it....ron

Posted: Sat Sep 5th, 2020 04:09 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
John Jahnke

Mana: 
About rotating the head aircraft all do that because of the prop anything that sticks out is angled as the air going by the body of the plane is not going straight by but spiraling past.

Posted: Sun Sep 6th, 2020 11:17 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Tom Day

Mana: 
Sorry to hear of your heart attack Ron,I've been there. You will be fine,just do what you are supposed to do.
That book is a bit technical but it is the only one I know of at this time.I have one of the original Yamaha manuals I could copy and send you. The Hartman clutches will work on a Yamaha but are marginal where a high engagement is needed like 10K. If you run the limited class you don't need that much so they would work. Sounds like all you might need is the sprocket drum.You can sometimes find them on ebay or if you ask someone may have one they would sell. Most guys run the L&T clutch or the old Horstman DXL but some parts may be hard to find on those. You can get a 10t 219 sprocket drum for the L&T to get down to a lower gear and they still make them so parts are available.
They are pretty durable and dependable engines,but big learning curve to be real fast with one. I have several. If you need anything or more info just ask.Another good source of info is facebook. Lots of us on there,VKA and other groups.
Good luck!
PS,there is a VKA limited class for over 60.

Last edited on Sun Sep 6th, 2020 11:22 am by Tom Day

Posted: Sun Sep 13th, 2020 06:26 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Ron Reaves 1

Mana: 
John, Thanks for the explanation.  I happen to know that as a pilot myself, but most people probably don't.  I've had some people confused by the head position.  Thx.

Current time is 08:33 pm

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Need Education on KT-100 engines

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.