Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Dual Engines on a Dead Axle Gopher Kart

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Dual Engines on a Dead Axle Gopher Kart
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 11th, 2018 01:52 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Shawn Norem

Mana: 
I have a question regarding the pros and cons of putting dual West Bend 580 engines on my 1959 Gopher kart that has a dead axle. From the factory it is set up for a single engine. Building another mounting pad and putting a sprocket on the other hub are not an issue. It would have very high coolness factor. But would I be inviting more hassle than its worth? My brain is questioning the physics of it as well. If the engine are not matched very closely, would they try to steer the kart? Plus, it may just be too much power for the kart to drive?

I am interested in hearing facts on the physics of it and if I would be opening a can of worms that I do not need to.
Thank you in advance.

Attachment: Gopher Kart 1.jpg (Downloaded 91 times)

Posted: Sat Aug 11th, 2018 06:27 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Doug Tenney

Mana: 
Well... a dead axle kart with a single engine steers OK, right?  Think of that as a twin engine kart where one engine has zero power.  As you add power in that theoretical 2nd engine, the difference between L & R just gets smaller, until it reaches zero.

Now, you have to use your head with respect to gearing, so that you don't over-rev the weaker engine.  You'd have to really TRY to screw that up.

As far as over-powering the kart... there were many, many karts in that era running twin WB 580's.  As long as the Gopher is in proper running condition, I think you'll be fine... and you're absolutely right, the coolness factor will be off the chart.

Be sure to post pics when it's done!

Posted: Sat Aug 11th, 2018 11:28 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Shawn Norem

Mana: 
Thank you Doug. The dual 580s I have currently have 10 tooth clutches, the axle sprocket is 72, and the tires are 12” diameter. I am not 100% sure I what the max safe rpm of the engines is? What are your thoughts on the gearing? Should I change it or run it as is? I don’t want to do the axle sprockets more than once.
Thanks

Posted: Sat Aug 11th, 2018 03:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Doug Tenney

Mana: 
Shawn, it depends how much you weigh, and the size of the track/parking lot you plan to use.
I attached a copy of the WB580 power curve from Go Power's ~1960 treatise, How to Hop Up Your West Bend.
I'll also attach the centerfold of the McCulloch owners manual (gearing table).  In the days of the slide-rule, that was probably extra handy!

72/10 = 7.2:1.  That would be ideal if you're over 200 lbs on a small track (perhaps a 100 yard straightaway?).
If you're smaller, or you have more room to run, you could go as tall as 60/10 = 6.0:1.

Remember to upload pics!

Attachment: WB580_power_curve_Go-Power.jpg (Downloaded 73 times)

Posted: Sat Aug 11th, 2018 03:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Doug Tenney

Mana: 
Gearing chart.

Attachment: RPM_MPH_Gear-Ratio_Chart.pdf (Downloaded 22 times)

Current time is 08:27 pm

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Dual Engines on a Dead Axle Gopher Kart

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.