Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > New here. Anybody know what cart this is??

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

New here. Anybody know what cart this is??
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun May 2nd, 2021 05:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
vinny simone

Mana: 
Hi Guys, New here. Just picked this up and can't seem to find any info on it. Figured I would try here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachment: 181376696_1451121375219637_4224810066773804713_n.jpg (Downloaded 67 times)

Last edited on Sun May 2nd, 2021 05:20 pm by vinny simone

Posted: Mon May 3rd, 2021 08:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Tom Smith

Mana: 
1961 Go Kart 800

Posted: Mon May 3rd, 2021 08:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
vinny simone

Mana: 
Thanks! You guys are the best. Now just trying to figure out how to power it.

Posted: Tue May 4th, 2021 08:54 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Terry Armstrong

Mana: 
Vinny,
Welcome to Vintage Karting!  You have picked a really nice and desirable Kart (Go Kart 800)!
You also have many options for Engines (either one or two)!  To be period correct the choices in 1961 would be: West Bend 580 or 700, McCulloch MC6, Power Products AH-47, Clinton D65 or Homelite K92.  These are ALL 2-stroke engines and can be found from people on this forum! The West Bend's or McCulloch would probably be the easiest to find, but the others are also out there.
You can find a lot of useful information by searching this forum, looking at the Vintage Karting Assocation (VKA) website or finding old magazines like Karting World, Karting Sport, Hot Rod magazine, Rod and Custom magazine from this time period.
There may be some other people from this forum who will chime in and offer information.I think you will have fun with this hobby whether you just putt around, go to some "exhibition" VKA events or restore it and just "show" it off.
What part of the country are you located??
Terry

Posted: Tue May 4th, 2021 09:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
vinny simone

Mana: 
Thanks Terry. I'm on Long Island. Was thinking about trying to restore it. Needs a new belly pan and a seat bottom. Otherwise it's pretty solid. I guess I will be on the hunt for a couple of motors.

Posted: Tue May 4th, 2021 09:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
vinny simone

Mana: 
Any idea what it's worth as it sits??

Last edited on Tue May 4th, 2021 09:35 pm by vinny simone

Posted: Tue May 4th, 2021 09:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
vinny simone

Mana: 
Thanks Terry. I'm on Long Island. Was thinking about trying to restore it. Needs a new belly pan and a seat bottom. Otherwise it's pretty solid. I guess I will be on the hunt for a couple of motors.

Posted: Tue May 4th, 2021 09:55 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
vinny simone

Mana: 
I have an old D300 waiting in the wings also to get some love. Pulled it out of the rafters in an old barn. Missing the motor, but the guy had an old B&S so I took that with the cart.

Posted: Wed May 5th, 2021 08:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Terry Armstrong

Mana: 
Vinnie,
What I see from your picture of the Go Kart 800, is that it looks ALL original, including the Hands wheels (6 inch rears and 4 inch fronts), tires and the frame looks original also with NO added on Motor mounts or cutting on the frame.    Can't tell from the photo if it's been re-welded anywhere or not.  The front axle on these karts were frequently broke where welded to the frame from accidents or fatigue.
Was your kart a "Barn find?

Also, may of these frames I have seen broken where the seat frame joins the main kart frame.
The advertisement from March 1961 issue of Karting World, shows the Go Kart 800 with a disc brake to the inside of the left side motor mount, whereas yours has the Bendix drum brake on the outside of the frame.  I'm not sure, you may have been able to get either brake as an option.
As far as value of your kart, that's very difficult to determine.  Many people have NO appreciation or desire for these OLD karts, and therefore would not seek or pay anything for one.  On the other hand, someone that had a Go Kart 800 back in that time period and would like to relive their past, it could be valuable to them!
Please post some more pictures of the kart on here, so we can see it's features and condition.
Thanks!
Terry

Posted: Wed May 5th, 2021 09:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
vinny simone

Mana: 
Thanks Terry, Yes it was a find. The only "welding" That I see is on one side of the seat back. Everything looks org to me. Has a few holes drilled in the left motor plate that don't look org. The bottom pan is shot, rotted under the steering wheel. It looks like it only had an engine on the right mount. All brake and throttle linkage seems org also. Will post more pictures asap. Thanks

Current time is 01:03 pm

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > New here. Anybody know what cart this is??

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.