Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Please help me identify

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Please help me identify
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jan 30th, 2019 11:06 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
minibike1
Charley Sirois

Mana: 
Can anyone help me identify this Old twin engine kart. It looks like a Rupp but has a scrub brake. Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to figure out the engine set up as it does not have a solid axle. Thanks

Attachment: 50061177_2236765949708228_5658684730342637568_n.jpg (Downloaded 147 times)

Posted: Fri Feb 1st, 2019 12:26 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Joe Drabicki
Blackhawk Kart Guru in Florida

Mana: 
Hello Minibike,

I can help with the info you need, but please take care of your name. We are all friends here and the administrator set up a rule saying you must register using your real name. Re-register a new membership with your real name.

What town in Florida are you in? Do you plan to restore that kart or sell it?

Check the diameter of the steering shaft on that kart. If it has a 1/2" shaft, it was made between 1958 and the end of 1962. If it has a 5/8" shaft, it was made from 1963 forward. The racing rules required kart manufacturers to change to 5/8" steering shafts starting with the 1963 season. Knowing the steering shaft diameter helps pin down the year the kart was made and what model Rupp kart.

The early karts did not use a solid axle to turn both rear wheels. A twin engine kart like that would have used an engine to turn a sprocket to turn one rear wheel separately from the other wheel. Scrub brakes were very common on early karts. Pick up the rear of the kart and turn one wheel. Does the other turn too or stay still?

Keep that steering wheel with the kart as it is original. It originally had chrome spokes. You could get it re-chromed or sand and paint the spokes. You could also just sand the spokes with fine sandpaper to make the steel spokes shiny, then spray a clearcoat finish on them.

I tried finding a Rupp brochure with a photo or illustration of that kart. I will keep looking to see if I can identify exactly which model that may be.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Last edited on Fri Feb 1st, 2019 12:33 am by Joe Drabicki

Posted: Fri Feb 1st, 2019 01:18 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
minibike1
Charley Sirois

Mana: 
Thank you very much for the info. I am going to try to restore it. I will measure and get back to you. I added my name and location to my profile. If you need anything else let me know. Thanks

Posted: Sat Feb 2nd, 2019 01:19 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Doug Tenney

Mana: 
Hi Charley,It looks to me that you have the front half of a '63~'67 Rupp A-Bone (Dart) spliced onto the back of something a few years older.
That machine probably put smiles on a lot of young faces (or possibly a lot of smiles on just a few young faces?) over the last nearly 60 years.
Many of the karts from that era were built like tanks, and didn't survive past the end of the "fad" in 1963.
Rupps were the exception.  They survived, in large part because of their simple, lightweight design.  Somebody was determined to keep yours going after the rear of the chassis had had enough.
Good to see that it's still putting out smiles.  Enjoy!
Doug

Current time is 12:02 pm

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Please help me identify

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.