Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

65 Hornet
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2017 06:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Bert Power

Mana: 
I recently added a 65 Hornet with dual Mc7's to the herd. I'm looking for someone that has one with FWB's for advice on how the brakes were set up.
Thanks, Bert

Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2017 10:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
tommy kelley

Mana: 
brian sheriadan probably has info
tk

Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2017 11:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
jeff brown
Veteran Karter

Mana: 
Try Richard Peck in Waco, Texas he's repopping some karts and parts. He will be glad to help.

Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2017 11:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
jeff brown
Veteran Karter

Mana: 
Richard@mercurytool.com

Posted: Tue Dec 5th, 2017 12:50 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Doug Tenney

Mana: 
Any chance you'd want to add a 2nd Hornet to the herd? It just so happens that Farmer Brown just listed one on E-Bay, 142613300239. There's even a close-up pic of the front brakes.

I'll let him know about this thread. Maybe he'll chime in after he's done spreading manure tomorrow morning.

Posted: Tue Dec 5th, 2017 01:26 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Bert,
Let me know what it is you want to see and I'll post pics...............after I'm done plowing the fields,slapping the hogs,ect

Posted: Tue Dec 5th, 2017 03:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Bert Power

Mana: 
Any photos of the front axle, and how the lines were plumbed from the master cylinder. Mine has the m/c right in front of the caliper on the rear axle, with no tee for the front brakes. There's two brass "fittings" in the front axle, and I'm not sure what purpose they serve, if any. This kart was a jerry-rigged show kart with a lot of add-ons like head and tail lights. I doubt if it ever was on a track, but I'd like to bring it back to stock.
Many Thanks Carl!

Posted: Tue Dec 5th, 2017 09:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Bert,
On my kart there are no welded on tabs or anything like that to hold the brake lines. Originally there might have been some metal clips that went over the frame tubes but this kart was a very nice unmolested example from Robbin Loois's collection and it didn't come with any.
Here's some pics,hope they help!

Posted: Wed Dec 6th, 2017 12:06 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Doug Tenney

Mana: 
Bert,
Hmmm.  I'm going to toss out a few arm-chair-QB suggestions.  Take 'em with a grain of salt.
  1. Tee the lines at (or near) the M/C.  Then route the lines forward, hidden inside the L & R main frame tubes. It would be really convenient if the frame tubes were open in the back, hidden by the mounts.  Are they?
  2. You'll need to make holes for the lines to emerge from the frame tubes, up near the front wheels.  Be smart about where you make them, of course (away from high stress areas, and allow slack for steering the lock-to-lock).
  3. Maybe for the section between the frame rail and the wheel, run the nylon line inside a light stainless coil spring, to keep it from kinking and to protect it from abrasion?  May not be necessary.
  4. On Carl's kart, I really like how both M/C levers share a common clevis pin.  Super simple way to still have brakes even if one of the lines pops off down the straightaway.
Whoa, that's enough heavy thinking for now... time for a nap.

Doug

Current time is 10:19 pm

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.