Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Labor day to-do list

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Labor day to-do list
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Sep 5th, 2017 02:11 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Spent the day today replacing the front axle on one of my Foxes. Almost got this act down to under an hour thanks to having complete spare axles on hand. Many thanks to Joel Christens as he is the one who fabricates the front axle assemblies for me.
His workmanship is awsome and makes this job easy!
Right now the axle is squared to the rear axle & the caster is set so I tack welded it in place then it's off to my welder guy to have it tig welded.
When it gets back I'll re-assemble the kart then set it on the scales to see how much the front axle needs to be bent to get the correct percentages back.
More pics as I go.
http://s260.photobucket.com/user/modified32/slideshow/74X%20repair

Posted: Tue Sep 5th, 2017 02:45 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
tommy kelley

Mana: 
ouch what happened in the first place
joel is the man for fox axles..did you get the heaver wall version?
also like the ackerman steering sett up your running
tk

Posted: Wed Sep 6th, 2017 01:50 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Hi Tom,Let's just say a new driver at Oreville can be thankful that Barry's years of driving experience avoided a hard t-bone hit to him as the new driver ran out of talent going into the first turn just 50 feet after taking the green in our heat race and promptly spun in front of the rest of the field that had Barry behind the new driver,me behind Barry and Doug Tenney behind me.
Barry had no choice but to take a head on hit to the styrofoam and unfortunately he had enough momentum to have the kart flip and end up on top of him.
I had the foresight to know enough to keep an eye on the new guy (as neither Barry or I drove against him yet)and so going into the turn I was looking past Barry and saw the guy start to spin about the same time Barry did so I had enough time to clear Barry and spin my kart enough that I just backed it into the foam.
Doug managed to spin his kart also but unfortunately backed into Barry's upside down kart resulting in a puncture & crack to his engine shroud.
Anyway,the good news is nobody got hurt and we'll all race again another day.

The track photographer got pics of it & I'll post them as soon as I receive them.

Now onto your question, This front axle is just one of Joel's regular stock ones,I believe it's .065 he normally uses.He made me two of these complete with front bumpers.
He will make the axle out of .095 or .120 if you want you just need to let him know.
I'm in a time crunch to get this kart back together otherwise I would normally replace the tubular front bumper with a solid bar one as I like the added nose weight it offers.
The ackerman steering is just one of several things I tried on this chassis as my theory is "you'll never know until you try it" and having Barry as a driver means you WILL know if what you changed was good or not.
If he looks at you and says " load that piece of #*+! back on the trailer" you can assume he didn't like the changes I made to the kart :):):)

Posted: Wed Sep 6th, 2017 01:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Doug Tenney

Mana: 
Yeah.  The good thing with club racing is, you usually know what the other guys are going to do when the green drops.  (In my case, they all do pretty much the same thing: disappear into the forward horizon :q).

I guess the "take away" lesson was, pushing the envelope to stubbornly hold one's line into the very first turn wasn't worth it.  Especially since the field spread out pretty quickly on the restart anyway, as it usually does.

Oh well.   Oreville's sweeper has a decreasing radius... come in a bit too hot and it'll get ya.  Ask me how I know...

THE GOOD NEWS IS: we have a couple of new karts running vintage rear!  They don't come along every day.  Onward and upward!

Posted: Wed Sep 6th, 2017 09:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
The flip

http://s260.photobucket.com/user/modified32/slideshow/Barrys%20flip

Posted: Wed Sep 6th, 2017 11:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
tommy kelley

Mana: 
yowza!!!
tk

Posted: Thu Sep 7th, 2017 02:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Back together this morning now gotta go show up at work for a couple hours then I'll put the motor back on & do the setup tonight.

http://s260.photobucket.com/user/modified32/slideshow/74X%20repair/74X%20finish%20repair

Posted: Sat Sep 9th, 2017 12:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
S Kneisel

Mana: 
Nice job Carl,
Is Barry OK?  When Sam and I got mixed up at Sandy Hook when I spun in front of him and he flipped, he seemed OK at first until a day or two later, he still has some lingering stuff from that. I wish we had pix of that so we could see what actually happened.
See you next weekend,
Scott

Posted: Sat Sep 9th, 2017 08:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Scott,Yea Barry's fine...........I can tekk he's fine because he's still grumpy :)

Current time is 05:04 am

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Labor day to-do list

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.