Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > This is a little bit kart related

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

This is a little bit kart related
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 02:13 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Dean Richards

Mana: 
Hey all, My brother and I were at the Goode Guys car show today in Lincoln, Ne. and came across a unique piece that I believe was on a 1956 ford. This piece was on the intake side of the motor and was about 10" in dia. My brother has dealt with cars his entire life and for him to have never seen something is rare. Well to make the story short, it turned out to be a Mcculloch blower. I did know that Paxton Mcculloch made blowers but had never seen one. I have attached a photo in case others have not seen them before. Thought it was pretty cool. Thanks, Dean

Attachment: 4999.jpeg Mcculloch Supercharger.jpg (Downloaded 214 times)

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 05:11 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Dan Dettmann

Mana: 
A lot of Studebakers had them factory installed starting around '57 or so.

Posted: Mon Jun 19th, 2017 01:07 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Dean,
I actually found a small McCulloch screw type blower that was made in the 60's that I'm going to use on one of my Foxes to supercharge a Mac.
I have it figured out that it will build 6 psi of boost and plan on pressurizing the whole carb.
Lots of fabricating to do yet but here's a pic of the blower & gears mounted.
It's a winter project (another one-lol)

Posted: Mon Jun 19th, 2017 12:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Dan Dettmann

Mana: 
...brings a new meaning to "A Super"!

Posted: Mon Jun 19th, 2017 08:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Doug Tenney

Mana: 
Dean,
Yeah, Robert P. McCulloch was a busy guy... REALLY busy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_P._McCulloch

Some highlights:
  1. His middle name is Paxton... hence the name of the superchargers.  That was his first company.
  2. He married the daughter of Stephen Foster Briggs (of Briggs and Stratton fame).
  3. His 2nd company was initially named McCulloch Aviation.  They made engines for military target drones (for training naval gunners, I presume).
  4. He also founded 3 other companies.
  5. He's the eccentric millionaire who bought the London Bridge and moved it stone by stone to Lake Havasu City in the Arizona desert.  In fact, he started that city from scratch.
  6. He also founded 3 other cities.
  7. He died in 1977 at age 65.  That USED TO seem old...
Doug

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 01:49 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Dean,
From the info I could find on the internet it seems like this blower was made for the military in the early 60's for some sort of stationary engine.
I'll post progress pics & how it performs on here when I get that far.

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 02:52 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Barry Greenzweig

Mana: 
Hey Carl. Dont use Dougs Con rod or your piston. You will have BBQ in blower.

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 05:45 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Doug Tenney

Mana: 
A little salt for Doug's wound, eh?

My stock Mc91B's connecting rod on Sunday... reminds me of the Tootsie Pop commercial... how many licks does it take to get to the center.  One, two, three, CRUNCH.  Answer: three.

I have no complaints.  Bought it used, never freshened it, ran it for about 4 years.  But... when we loaded up in the morning, I did NOT expect to come home with a fragged motor.

First time for everything.

The poor little crank stopped SO fast that the flywheel nut didn't get the memo.  It kept spinning, unscrewed itself and ended up in the grass somewhere.

Two consecutive DNF's...  maybe time to switch back to a US820.  Can't win with a Yellow Fellow unless you FINISH.

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 12:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Barry Greenzweig

Mana: 
Wow long life on that guy. Maybe try a fresh motor instead of beating the pulp out of it for years. Things tend to wear out. So will those other things,

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 01:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Doug Tenney

Mana: 
Good point.  Just looked in my notes.  I'd run it for 5 seasons, and it had some hours on it when I bought it...

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 03:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Barry,you mean those motors should last longer then 8 laps? 😳 I would have never guessed!

Posted: Fri Jun 30th, 2017 11:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
S Kneisel

Mana: 
I have personal experience with these military blowers. I was told they were used to blow up temporary inflatable buildings but that is just hear say. Anyway I used one on my 16HP Kohler pulling tractor and it definitely improved performance. Two of my friends used one on a tube frame dune buggy with a Yammy 350 bike engine. That worked OK too but they spun it faster than it is made for and kept wearing out input shafts.

All that being said, a loop scavenged 2 stroke really cannot be supercharged, it just won't work, too much charge loss and the pressure in the crankcase cannot be brought above atmosphere because of the porting. The tuned pipe is really the only way to supercharge one of our two strokes and it isn't really supercharging but is works great as many of us know.

I can say one thing though Carl, it will be the coolest kart around!!

Posted: Fri Jun 30th, 2017 01:40 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Dan Dettmann

Mana: 
Years ago, Ferrari was developing a turbocharged 2 stroke for F1 but the FIA got word of it and rewrote the rule book. It had exhaust valves.

Posted: Fri Jun 30th, 2017 08:32 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Scott,That's a great story as to what these blowers were used for and considering the fact we're talking about our military,I completely believe it! :)
I know everything I've read says 2 strokes and blowers don't work but I'm looking at it this way,I can pressure test a Mac to 6 psi and it will hold with no issues so I'm looking to see what the motor will react like if I can keep the crankcase charged with that pressure.
The blower will be axle driven with it's maximum rpm's at 2500. These roots type blowers do allow air to pass thru them when they're not turning so the motor will be able to idle.
I also plan on completely enclosing the carb and pressurizing it.
Like I said it's a winter experiment and I'm looking forward to seeing what "issues" will pop up !

Posted: Sat Jul 1st, 2017 12:53 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
S Kneisel

Mana: 
Go for it Carl, love to see what you find out!!

Posted: Sat Jul 1st, 2017 01:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Scott,I'll keep ya informed for sure.
Worst case if it becomes a total failure I can still just display it on a stand because it sure will "look" fast! :):):):):)

Current time is 06:07 pm

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > This is a little bit kart related

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.