Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Siamese West Bend 820's

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Siamese West Bend 820's
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 24th, 2021 02:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Mike Berg

Mana: 
Anyone have any info/photos of the Siamese West Bends that appeared on the cover of old karting magazine? how they did it what parts they used? ant test results? anything?
Thankyou .
Mike Berg
magmo44@att.net

Posted: Wed Mar 24th, 2021 10:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Dan Dettmann

Mana: 
I have the December 1963 issue of Karting World that featured a test of the Shoemaker "siamesed" West Bends. I don't see any starter pulleys (or recoil starters) on either engine of the test kart so they must have been coupled together and ran direct drive. They were set up to fire 180 degrees apart. Most people who ran twin engine direct drive karts did the same thing back then. The only advantage I can see with the Shoemaker setup is it only requires a single swing mount and chain (duplex), so you save the weight of one engine mount and one sprocket hub. However with the single exhaust header it must have sounded sweet. Interesting to note that a Shoemaker ad in the same issue says that they have kits available for West Bends and Power Products with Homelites and McCullochs coming soon. I have a hard time imagining how the latter two worked out.

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2021 09:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Bruce Dabney

Mana: 
I spoke to Wes Shoemaker a few times in the late 90s; he told me about the siamese Bends and sent me an 8 x 10 closeup shot of it. I also wondered how it sounded, and his response was that it sounded like the old Indy 'big cars'.

Posted: Fri Apr 30th, 2021 01:54 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Mike Berg

Mana: 
Thank you for the info, any chance you could share the photo I would like to see exactly how the coupled the 2 engines, I plan on using a chain type coupling with 12 teeth so I can change the firing order in mutiples of 30 degrees. Mike Berg
Thanks agian!

Posted: Sat May 1st, 2021 12:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Bruce Dabney

Mana: 
Sure Mike, I'll look for it. BTW are you out in Pittsburgh area? If so I bought a Blackhawk from you about 20 yrs ago..

Posted: Sat May 1st, 2021 01:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Mike Berg

Mana: 
No I am in NWest Illinois, unfortunately.

Posted: Sat May 1st, 2021 07:26 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Bruce Dabney

Mana: 
Mike, I found the pic & made copies, but the site wouldn't let me upload them as attachments- nor could I email them to you (jpeg or pdf) b/c file sizes too big. If anyone has any sage advice on how to get those pix up here, please chime in- thanx

Posted: Tue May 11th, 2021 04:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
johngillman

Mana: 
I have done a twin 820 setup on my Simplex Challenger Mark IV
First you need a cw at pto and a ccw at pto. West Bend model numbers are odd numbered for ccw at pto and even numbered for cw engines at pto or flywheel side.
Simplex's have a twin engine accelerator actuator.
There are left and right box mufflers available but no other special things are needed.
I have GEM V12 setups for each engine, so I'm running four Tillotson 232s, this is achieved with a Hartman V12 linkage setup, really slick. Send me your email and I will be glad to send pictures of kart and setup. My files are too large to upload here.
John

Current time is 01:18 am

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Siamese West Bend 820's

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.