Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > 4 inch wide turf tire

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

4 inch wide turf tire
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 26th, 2021 01:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Rick Van De Wal

Mana: 
Hi guys can someone tell me what the recommended rim width for a 4 inch turf tire would be?

Posted: Mon Mar 1st, 2021 01:39 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Joe Drabicki
Blackhawk Kart Guru in Florida

Mana: 
Hello Rick,

I have a Blackhawk that came with some turf tires on the front. They are some very old Goodyear knobby tires size 4.10-5 (4.10/3.50-5 is the same tire size too). The rim width they were on was 4 3/4" wide Margay Series 24 Star Wheels. The tire sidewalls sloped away from the tread out to the rim edges. See the photo.

Some current production turf tires might have straighter sidewalls that go straight down from the tread edge. They might not spread apart very far when you inflate the tire, which might require a narrower rim width.

You might want to buy the tires you intend to use, measure the bead to bead. Compare that measurement to pulling the beads out some until you can't pull them any further and measure that. Doing this will help you determine which wheels you need for the tire. Stretch the sidewalls out no more than 3/4".

I was a tire engineer for Bridgestone/Firestone tire. You really should not stretch a tire out too wide for safety reasons. I see people who race karts, mostly dirt track guys, who put a tire belt around the tire and inflate the tire with the intention of stretching the sidewalls to go on a wheel rim that is waaaaayy too wide for the tire. DON'T EVER DO THIS! You can seriously hurt yourself in this mounting process AND the driver could get seriously hurt when the tire fails at speed.

There are people whom have told me they do this all the time without any problems. One day will come... BOOOOM!!

Kind Regards,
Joe

Attachment: 20200821_182919.jpg (Downloaded 19 times)

Current time is 06:39 am

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > 4 inch wide turf tire

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.