Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Bug Stinger help

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Bug Stinger help
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Feb 1st, 2020 10:07 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Jeffrey Sligh

Mana: 
I just picked up a Bug Stinger, kart and all the parts was rolled into a garage in 1972, and been there since. Just got this today, kart has two K88's and 2 Mac motors. Could use some help as far as trying to restore this babydoll back to original condition, and could REALLY use a crash course in Mac motors! Seems that the footlocker trunk that came with the kart had four blocks in it, and I can see that a couple of them have had some serious porting done to them, but I am not sure how to identify them as to which motors they are. The two Macs that came complete both have twin alky Tillotson carbs on them and G.E.M. headers, and a pair of the little turbo muffler exhausts that came in the box along with two other manifolds with twin BDC carbs. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

Posted: Sun Feb 2nd, 2020 02:28 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Tom Day

Mana: 
Jeffrey,  First,if you haven't been involved in vintage karting before welcome aboard. Nice find there! You could begin by reading the Mac rebuild article written by Scott Kniesel on vintagekartforum.com. If those engines have been sitting they need a complete teardown and checked out before running them. One thing that happens is the needle bearings for the wrist pin become stuck and damage will occur if run that way. There are plenty of us out there that are willing to help newbies...just ask us as you go. You will want to post what you did here on the site that I just gave you. VKA has I site but facebook works better for them. There are several good engine builders out there: Bill McCornack in Wisonsin, Terry Ives in Calif., Jeff Brown in Michigan, not sure if he is still doing Macs but Scott Kneisel in the East. Hope this helps you for a starting point.
Tom

Posted: Mon Feb 3rd, 2020 08:07 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Jeffrey Sligh

Mana: 
Ok, turns out I do have another question on the Stinger. Trying to figure out if the pitman arms on the steering shaft are suppose to be above or below the mounting point on the chassis, or, if the spindle arms are suppose to be forward or behind. Been looking at a lot of the pictures, and I am seeing several of the short front porch models have the spindle arms in the front, and then some of the long porch models have the spindle arms in the rear... Any way to tell which way they are suppose to be on the kart I have?

Posted: Mon Feb 3rd, 2020 08:38 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Jeffrey Sligh

Mana: 
Pictures of the Mac, picture #1

Attachment: IMG_20200203_162038.jpg (Downloaded 117 times)

PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Jeffrey Sligh

Mana: 
Picture #2

Attachment: IMG_20200203_162124.jpg (Downloaded 115 times)

PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Jeffrey Sligh

Mana: 
Picture #3

Attachment: IMG_20200203_162547.jpg (Downloaded 115 times)

Posted: Mon Feb 3rd, 2020 08:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Jeffrey Sligh

Mana: 
Picture #4

Attachment: IMG_20200203_162616.jpg (Downloaded 116 times)

Posted: Tue Feb 4th, 2020 02:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Terry Armstrong

Mana: 
Jeffrey,
Welcome to the world of Vintage karting!  Sounds like you made a great find with the Stinger and Engines, etc.
I have a Bug Stinger that I believe was built in 1973 and I have the original Bug brochure for the 1974 Stinger.  PM me you email address and I can send you the brochure as a pdf.
My son ran the Stinger first with a Mac49, then a Mac 92 in Junior class of VKA up until about 5 years ago.  He has since outgrown the kart physically and if you are about 6' or taller, they are not very comfortable.  Our stinger has the standard front porch, but the brochure list an optional 8" or 11" front porch available.
Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer!
Terry

Posted: Tue Feb 11th, 2020 01:37 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Jeffrey Sligh

Mana: 
Finally got a really bad picture with my phone of the kart to post on here, this is just after I got it home and took the K88 off of it and snuck it into the house when the wife wasn't looking... Shhhhh! LOL! Any idea of what kind of pipe is on there? To me it looks like a motocross pipe someone cut up and put on here, or am I missing something?

Attachment: IMG_20200210_210400.jpg (Downloaded 83 times)

Last edited on Tue Feb 11th, 2020 01:38 am by Jeffrey Sligh

Posted: Mon Feb 17th, 2020 05:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Jeffrey Sligh

Mana: 
Ok, another question I have... What did K&P use as their "standard" sprocket? Was it the Tru-A-Line setup or the Hegar Quick Change setup? Figure if I am going to put this back together as original as I can, I will need to get the correct sprocket carrier.

Posted: Tue Feb 18th, 2020 11:26 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Tom Day

Mana: 
That is a Margay pipe. In it's day it was commonly used on Macs and West Bends. Those are hard to find and worth $$$.

Posted: Tue Feb 18th, 2020 09:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Jeffrey Sligh

Mana: 
Thanks for the pipe ID Tom! I saw a picture of one once, but I wasn't sure if that was what it was or not. I also got lucky and got a Horstman muffler for the Mac in the footlocker of stuff. Think I really did make out rather nicely for what all I got for what I paid!

Posted: Wed Feb 19th, 2020 11:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Tom Day

Mana: 
Good stuff! Have fun!

Current time is 12:14 pm

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Bug Stinger help

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.