Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Rupp Project, Advice Appreciated

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Rupp Project, Advice Appreciated
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Sep 10th, 2019 05:39 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
gokarteddie

Mana: 
Just found this old Rupp Go Kart for 60$ whoever owned it before me stretched it. At this point I cant decided if I continue restoring it with the stretched frame or cut it down back to originality. Any piece of advice is appreciated, this will be my first build so experience kart builds chime in!

Attachment: whole frame12.jpg (Downloaded 131 times)

Last edited on Tue Sep 10th, 2019 05:44 am by gokarteddie

Posted: Tue Sep 10th, 2019 01:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Dan Dettmann

Mana: 
It wouldn't handle very well as-is (looks like about a 10"+ stretch). Lots of work but, if you have the the time and are a glutton for punishment, I vote for un-stretching it. It would be some good welding experience. I like the Jiminy Cricket front bumper!

Posted: Wed Sep 11th, 2019 02:26 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Joe Drabicki
Blackhawk Kart Guru in Florida

Mana: 
Hey Eddie!

Welcome to the forum.

I vote for originality too. If you go back to original, you can probably get correct dimensions from somebody here that owns one of those karts. How tall are you? If you are 5'6" or taller, your knees might be around the steering wheel when driving the kart in its original length. If you look at any old karting books or magazines, this was normal for any racing kart from 1958 to about 1968. Around the late 60s to early 70s, karts started getting built longer for making the driver more comfortable. This did not mean the wheelbase got longer. They just let a driver stretch out their legs with a longer front porch forward of the front axle line. A lot of people have done this with older karts on this forum. Just ask for advise on front porch ideas.

If you keep the stretched frame as it is, Dan is correct in that it might not handle well. The previous owner probably had long legs and wanted his legs straighter. He accepted the poor handling as a trade-off for comfort. If you put a powerful enough engine on the back, you can negate some of the bad handling (an under-steering front end, the front just slides to outside of corners) by powering your way around corners forcing the rear to slide out, making the front to steer a little better. This is not the best thing to have in a racing vehicle, but it is fun to drive that way. You just go through tires faster.

In the end, it is your kart, so do what you want and have fun!

Kind Regards,
Joe

Posted: Sat Sep 14th, 2019 09:17 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
gokarteddie

Mana: 
I’m going to cut it back to original size. Im currently having a hard time finding original parts that aren’t 600 dollars I was hoping to make it as original as possible. Let’s say I make it up to 90% original what’s this kart worth all restored?

Posted: Sat Sep 14th, 2019 04:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Joe Drabicki
Blackhawk Kart Guru in Florida

Mana: 
Hello Eddie,

Value on any kart or part is what a buyer is willing to pay. How bad do they want it?

Do some research. Look on this site and a couple other vintage kart sites. See what people are asking for their Rupp karts. See the sold price.

My humble opinion is that you will get more for any kart that is proven to be original. A kart that got stretched and returned back to original might not bring as much money.

Whatever you do in restoring your kart, have fun. Don't expect to make a g0ldmine out of that kart. You won't be able to retire from the profits. You will be able to fund another project if you sell it.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Current time is 08:53 am

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Rupp Project, Advice Appreciated

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.