View single post by Terry Armstrong
 Posted: Thu Sep 17th, 2020 02:58 pm
PMQuoteReplyFull Topic
Terry Armstrong

Mana: 
Hi Eric,
Welcome to the wonderful world of Vintage karting!  Others may chime in and offer suggestions as well.  I don't have experience with the West Bend 820, but with Mac's, Komet's, DAP's, etc.
You didn't mention whether the fuel was Gas or Alcohol?  I've found Alcohol to be more finicky as far as idling is concerned.  Also the condition of the engine: condition of seals, rings, etc.  Also does the engine hold pressure if you seal it up and put 8 - 10 psi thru the intake or exhaust port?

A couple things you should check:1. Pulse Hole; make sure it is open with no restrictions between carburetor, gasket and intake manifold all the way down to the reed cage. I have had problems with this in the past! A poor pulse signal will cause erratic running.
2. Reed Cage; Make sure all gaskets are lined up correctly with the intake, reed cage and engine block.  I recently installed a gasket incorrectly and the engine would only run at 1/4 throttle or more.3. Reeds:  Make sure they are in good shape and making a good seal to the reed cage! Hold the reed cage up to the light and look from the opposite side to see if you can see light.  If they don't lay flat against the reed block, the engine will run erratically.
Check back when you figure it out and let us know what you found!
Terry

Close Window