View single post by Doug Tenney
 Posted: Fri Apr 27th, 2018 05:27 pm
PMQuoteReplyFull Topic
Doug Tenney

Mana: 
Hint: you'll get a much better response if you post under your real name.

Anyway, ditto what Randy said (Klotz Super Techniplate at 9 oz/gal).  That gives 14.2-to-1 ratio.

High-test (say, 92 octane) pump gas works ok, even with "up to" 10% ethanol.  As you probably know, mixed with oil or not, today's pump gas has a shelf-life of a few months.

Race gas, or aviation gas, or any gasoline without ethanol, doesn't have the shelf-life issue, and should be better at keeping the needle bearings free of corrosion.

You asked about additives.  I don't think you need any, although Sta-Bil is supposed to increase the shelf-life.

You don't need tetraethyl lead.

Super Techniplate has 20% castor oil, so there will be some carbon build up.  (Confession: we ran our US820 on this for 8 or 9 years without even taking the head off... so the carbon is nothing like the old days with SAE 30!)

A lot of guys use fully synthetic 2-stroke oils.  With Redline, I hear that there is almost zero carbon left on the piston crown.

The absence of deposits is desirable of course, but castor's proponents point to its superior film strength.

Anyway, no matter what the bottle says, I would NOT use a mixture ratio greater than 16:1 or so (8 oz/gal).

Close Window