Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > mac 91 PTO seal

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

mac 91 PTO seal
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 01:02 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Barry Freeman

Mana: 
Hey Guys,
I just picked up a mac 91A in really nice condition, but know nothing about it's history. I noted that the PTO seal is in backwards! Would this work and why would someone do this?
thanks for any insight.
Barry

Posted: Thu Dec 6th, 2018 05:28 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Doug Tenney

Mana: 
Just a theory.  It'll have to do until someone with direct knowledge weighs in.
Space Chain.
This write up from Azusa is excellent: http://kartdrome.com/index.php/technical-documents/azusa-engineering-history-of-35-space-chain  PDF also attached.

With an inboard clutch with Space Chain on a Mc91X (and probably McX), the chain will eat into the block at the PTO seal boss, and into the seal itself.
As explained in the Azusa write-up, Space Chain came along after these motors were produced.
When the Mc92 came along (1974?), it's PTO was different in 3 ways (that I know of).  No keyway, LH thread and 0.100 longer.  The last one fixed the "eating disorder."
The "eating disorder" can be lessened by tapping the seal a little deeper into the block.  Keep an eye on it, and keep a couple of extra seals on hand... not sure what else you can do.

A while ago, I looked around for regular (non-Space) #35 chain to solve the problem on my Mc91B.  All I could find was "play chain," which is nowhere near adequate for use with a Mc9X because it kinks up almost immediately.  At first I assumed that it was a lubrication issue.  Nope.  The actual pins & bushings bend, turning it into a crooked "bar" of scrap metal.

If anyone knows of a regular (non-Space) #35 chain with hardened pins & bushings, at a comparable price, I'd love to know.  A couple of years ago I looked through McMaster-Carr's offerings in #35 (tons), but found nothing viable.

Attachment: Chain_35_space_Azusa.pdf (Downloaded 7 times)

Current time is 08:58 am

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > mac 91 PTO seal

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.