Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > Karting Info > mcculloch tank ebay 484 bucks !!!

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

mcculloch tank ebay 484 bucks !!!
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 28th, 2012 04:00 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
maybe the person that had the guy on tv paint his mcculloch kart bought it to replace the incorrect one that was on it on tv . ????

Posted: Wed Mar 28th, 2012 03:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Phil Riley

Mana: 
Hey Steve. I read the add and then looked at the tank and the discription left a little to be desired. I watched the bidders on this one and a bidder with a feedeback of 5 bid on the tank up to 300.00 and this is the same bidder that bought the recoil starter last night for 157.00. GO FIGURE!! I mean really! Heres the solution.

Step 1. dig all the unuseable crap out from under the bench
Step 2. Put it on eBait and use the words RUPP and Vintage in the add.
Step 3. "BOOK THE CRUISE"

Posted: Wed Mar 28th, 2012 03:31 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
phil ., i see you also noticed every single piece on evilbay starts out .. rupp, west bend ,mcculloch , vintage kart .   Lol.. yeah baby bahamas here i come . !!!   7 or 8 hundred each  for few my 5 port west bends .4 or 5 hundred each for a few tanks   1500 for couple pairs of 91s ..  should get me couple weeks vacation ..

Posted: Wed Mar 28th, 2012 10:24 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Bob Towarnicki

Mana: 
Guys, At the risk of losing some of my MANA let me take a contrarian view. I like EBAY. I win sometimes, I lose sometimes and I feel good about either outcome since I only bid what the item is worth to me. If someone pays more - then it is worth more to them. If I win, then I wanted it more than the competition for whatever my motivation. I also sell on EBAY. I start the bidding at what I will sell for. Sometimes I list a buy it now price for those who don't want to risk the auction outcome. Buyers choice. No gun to anybodys head. I had no involvement in the McCulloch tank you are amazed by. But with racing season coming, if I needed it to get on the track then I would bid for it. That was me a few years ago with my R1. Took me 2 years to get a tank. Regarding engines - when I got back into this vintage hobby in 2005 I packed up my original Mc 9 and sent it to Hansen Duncan for rebuild. My engine and $530 later I was running around The Big One with a big smile on my face - got hooked again and I was happy to pay the bill to Hansen and stopped to say hello to him at every Big One after. Later I bought a NOS 101MC for $1200 on EBAY. I got an e-mail telling me I overpaid. But no one offered me one cheaper! So I said, I can build these engines. I did it in the 60s. So I bought a sand blast cabinet, a drill press, a Sunnen Hone and all the stones, an oil bath to hone with oil, a press and bearing cups and on and on and on. Then I get to spend endless hours sourcing NOS parts. Most of it is not available at NAPA! So the other day I listed the two 91As you are referring to, starting the bidding at $799 for the pair. I also said if someone needs to have them right away they can buy them for $1499. Now lets see - EBAY & PayPal combined get 10% - 15% of that price as they should for providing the market place and the payment functions of a business. Then there is the free shipping that will cost me $30 - $60 depending on location. So now I am at $650/engine. Each engine cost me more than $200 to acquire and each engine has >$100 in new parts - FAG bearings, Timken Seals, rings, gaskets, carb kits, etc. So now lets say I am at $350/engine. Then lets figure 6 hours of labor between them at $35/hr. (i'm cheap). So now I am at $250/engine. If my core Mc9 was worth $120 then I just got for 2 engines, at my high price, what I paid Hansen to build me one engine in 2005. If the pair sell for $800 I lose money, but they are available right now at that price. The only time I don't like EBAY is when others convince BAD sellers to pull their items. Like the time a few months ago I was bidding on some new Azusa wheels in New York only to wake up in the morning to find out that multiple people :shock: contacted the seller and got him to pull the wheels while they tried to buy everything:(. I think those wheels are in CA now along with tires and lots of other good stuff. I am still pissed at the seller for his behavior. Buyers can try what they want and they do, it is up to the seller to honor his commitment with an auction. Sometimes they don't. Now that is what I call being EBAYed.;)

Posted: Wed Mar 28th, 2012 10:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Ted Johnson

Mana: 

Spot on, Bob. List your item at a starting price you can live with, then let human nature take it's course. It is NOT immoral of the SELLER if those bidding go "nutso" and end up bidding three times what the item is worth! When you are bidding, set a price in your mind beyond which you WILL NOT GO, and bid accordingly. There have been literally dozens of pieces and karts that I didn't win, because I reached my limit and refused to bid higher. Ebay has some nasty rules for both seller and buyer, but it's ultimately OUR choice. I've gotten some nice stuff off ebay! I don't know how many times I've listed items on all three forums at very fair prices, only to have the listings ignored. I've ended up listing on ebay in self defense. A number of folks in the "vintage community" have the mindset that the sellers should offer items at a special price to the "inside gang". This is B.S.! "Fair" works both ways! Ted

Posted: Wed Mar 28th, 2012 11:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Mike Reller

Mana: 
A while back I posted a question about a 34 mm Mikuni that came along with some kart stuff that I got. This post generated the answer I was looking for and some interesting PM's from members of the "vintage karting community". One offered me $30.00 for it,another offered $35.00. I sold it on ebay this week for $192.00. In the past I have sold stuff to folks who regularly appear on this site, and will do so in the future. It just happens that this is a big ticket item, and I need the money. With any luck this money will get the Bantam project finished.

Posted: Wed Mar 28th, 2012 11:18 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
bob you are 100% correct about the prices and needing something .. it just amaizes me sometimes how much stuff brings .:shock:..   and yes i was a major player in all the Nos azusa stuff .. how i found out is all i did was contact seller and ask if he had any rear azusa wheels.. i have plenty of fronts . he said yes i have alot of stuff.!!!     all nos but i got over 50 emails in one day about the 5 sets of wheels..  i cant take it ...so im pulling everything and selling  it all to this jack guy . i ask how much and wanted  see what all he had .. to make long story short i was to go pick up everything saturday morning cuz jack was comming monday i got sick and rushed to hospital didnt get out till tuesday jack called me said he was halfway home already ..and ill have to admitt im tiny bit sour with jack right now .. he offered me a used set of asuza wheels exactly what i been lookin for and a resonable price i said cool i just got outa hospital need couple days come up with some loot ..well i contact him explain money situation was comming little slower than i thought  ..well 2 days later he put em on ebay with set of nos fronts .. i still little bummed out but now kevin browns gonna heva to deal with it cuz im getrtin rid of kart ..:)

Posted: Thu Mar 29th, 2012 12:09 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
James Slaughter

Mana: 
thank you mike. i do not think anyone on here is looking for special favors but it seems when a few of us complain about pricing, which DOES NOT in any way shape or form say that we are looking for a freebie some of us are trying to do this on a budget and if a lot of these guys get out because of the high cost you will be racing 4 or 5 people and this sport will no longer be around look at w.k.a member ship its way down at all levels use to be 500 plus karts at manufactures races,what pulls them out is the clones thats right the 129.00 motor that turned into a 500 plus money in a short time.i guess what i am saying is i will always be for the karters best interest as well as my own. i wonder how many would quit if we we had a 20 race season.i bet more than 1/2 of membership. so this is my 10 cents worth.:)

Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2012 09:32 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
David Luciani
Administrator

Mana: 
me i don't like ebay.
but as i am gonna be selling some stuff i will be using it.
the forums are a nice place to chat but for some reason most of the guys inner cheapskate comes out on the sell side.
weird how the SAME guy will spend triple on esteal for the same part.

on buying stuff:
 some people want it NOW and have the cash to spend.
God bless them for knowing what they want i say.
while it would be nice to actually get sales like that i'm happy to break even or a little bit on the plus side.

Anyway there's no use crying it's only gonna get worse.
just before the economy tanked the yuppies were starting to show up with fancy prices.
Vintage parts went for STUPID money ,single margay gearboxes were banging 400$+.
so while the prices are still realatively low we should be happy and enjoy this sport.
dave:cool:

Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2012 10:15 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
friend of mine on here bid 300 or so on a mc motor maybe super 44 to clone somethin i cant remember .. but he got picked on terrible ..    i no he bid only for the intake it was somethin special .and was gonna sell the rest to recoup little money . he took a verbale beating on here ...guess what it sold for way over 400 bucks... even he was shocked and he works sick hours makes dang good money .but chose to walk away .always makes me wonder who ..??  and if ..??  anybody .??  is really buying this stuff .. ;)   like the blitz kart hear in n.y. that thing was listed and sold and relisted and pulled and bla bla bla .. about 5 times ..

Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2012 10:52 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
hey the same guy i was talkin about below just cleared somethin up and it makes sense .. say who ever bought the tank for 484 bucks or whatever .. bought a very nice mint mcculloch kart with motor very very nice for 300 .00 with no tank .. he spends around 500 on a tank but now has super nice race ready kart for around 800.00   ;)   great package good price everybody happy buyer seller and all vintage karters cuz new compation ..    thanks kurt ..

Current time is 08:05 am

Vintage Karts Forums > General > Karting Info > mcculloch tank ebay 484 bucks !!!

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems, INC.