Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > Karting Info > Clark mfg co Go Kart question

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Clark mfg co Go Kart question
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Mar 5th, 2011 07:00 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
flathead Frank

Mana: 
Has anyone on this site run across or owned a Clark Kart?....These were made in Conyers, Ga.by Clark Mfg. co......Anybody have any history or time frame these were made?.......Mine is a "built like a tank" dead axle model with a I.D.tag on the seat support and alloy split rim wheels.

Attachment: DSCN0001.JPG (Downloaded 387 times)

Posted: Sat Mar 5th, 2011 09:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
David Luciani
Administrator

Mana: 
As far as i know they were all lawn karts.
no racers.
since they aren't legal to run that's as far as my info goes.
sorry.
dave

Posted: Sat Mar 5th, 2011 10:32 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Ted Johnson

Mana: 
There's one on eBay now with a '91, a pipe and oil clutch on it! Someone wasted their money, though the engine looks good! Yard karts are generally made with cheap mild steel tubing, and won't take hard use. 

Posted: Sun Mar 6th, 2011 03:18 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
David Luciani
Administrator

Mana: 
That guys been trying to sell it on craigslist for over a year.
he also has a blitz for sale for BIG $$$
dave

Posted: Sun Mar 6th, 2011 04:02 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
Hi dave...you think 1500.00 is alot for a super nice blitz kart with a race prepped 91 ready to ride.... ive never seen it other than pics but i did talk to the gentalman for quit some time on the phone seemed like very nice person ..??and i wouldnt be surprised if it didnt come with some spares ...ie. maybe another motor or two ..i could be wrong on price, condition, but i thought i was fair priced ..is a clark a spin off of rupps dart kart after they went out of buisness ..?? ive never herd of them  till lately ..but seems so someone told me they were almost exact to rupp with a little longer rear perch ..??

Posted: Sun Mar 6th, 2011 04:04 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
flathead Frank

Mana: 
Ok guys, I didn't know this was a vintage racing Karts ONLY forum....legal to race?, come on.....Of course this is a fun/yard kart!......I remember when karts like this were the only karts we had, that this and backyard homemade terrors like it were a lot of fun to compete with your buddies, in the parking lot or at the track.....run what you brung and sort out the low tech stuff later!.....I joined this site for fun and a little re-education of the sport....vintage , that is.

The contemorary high speed, high end , high tech shifter karts of today have little interest to me....They have "morfed" into something that I, as an old schooler, cannot get in to.....So, please, do not disrespect this old fun/yard/scrub brake kart....It is where this sport came from and I'm sure that it will thrill a new comer youngster and introduce them to the world of karting.....for fun!

P.S. If a fella wants to install a mac 91 on a vintage "yard Kart"and drive it, more power to him....I would never say it was a waste of money or time....it's all about fun, allways.

Posted: Sun Mar 6th, 2011 12:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Ted Johnson

Mana: 
Fine, Frank. Buy one and fix it up. It's your money. We know of one Cali guy who did just that, installed a '91, very nice paint job, fresh seat, good wheels. Took it out and bent it beyond repair the first time out on a minor off-track excursion. We older karters who've been thru this since the late fifties aren't trying to discourage or disrespect anyone. We're just trying to help the newer guys to enjoy a hobby we've enjoyed for fifty years and more. Part of that enjoyment is in not being disappointed by wasting time and money. Also, a lot of vintage karters look on the machine as an investment. An investment in a D301 Dart or a Clark or Manco is like investing in a mine that turns out to be fool's g0ld. They're not worth much more restored than they were when they were rusty. The sport of karting did NOT morph from fun karts, rather the other way around. The first true karts were made of proper materials by men who were familiar with racing: Art Ingles, Roy Desbrow, Duffy Livingstone, Tom Pierson. Art Ingles first kart was better built than current yard karts.

Posted: Sun Mar 6th, 2011 01:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
good morning TJ....in my mind  i kinda disagree ..my opinion is the first kart ol art built was a fun kart for sure.. since he was credited for the first real kart .only becouse he was already well known.and had alot of conections and money ..but  there was 100s of little motorized machines (go karts )waaaaaay befor them birds made a big name for them selves..my dad and his buddy had a homeade kart with a twin cyl maytag hit and miss motor around 1956 yr might not be exact i wasnt born till 62 and it was way befor he ever got married to my mom in 1959 ..as far as the clark i would like to here what carl says about it im pretty sure the gentalman raced it quite a bit at carls track ..i wouldnt even think twice about slappin a mac or 820 on a manco ,live axel clark ,and ive always wanted a rupp 300 or whatever there called i own a couple  vintage race karts and a few yard karts i like them all equal ..you have your opinion i have mine now lets fire somethin up and ride ...

Posted: Sun Mar 6th, 2011 02:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Ted Johnson

Mana: 
Hey, Steve. Art's first was a FUN kart, for sure. However, it was built of proper materials by a gentleman with competition credentials. My feeble point is: Why waste your effort and cash on a kiddie toy when there are TONS of good, safe competition chassis out there? I'm not saying "restore" it to a concours finish, ya don't need to do that to have safe fun. The point is that someday you'll want to sell or trade it for something different. You'll have a lot easier time selling a Dart A-Bone or a Cad Cart than you will a Manco, and you'll have a safer, more fun ride while you do keep it!

Right now I'm building a fresh chrome bore 610, because I found a new block in my stash. I don't even have a chassis to mount it on right now, but when I DO build a new kart for the Bender, I'll start with a competition chassis, and I'll have a safe, (sort of) fast, carefree ride. I won't have to worry about folding it up the first time someone forces me off the turn!

Posted: Sun Mar 6th, 2011 03:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
yupp ted i agree to a certain point theres tons of rupps ,fox karts,simplex,and others ..but you never no what catches someone eyes ...frank may like the looks of a certain kart where as you and i might not ...and im thinkin most any kart they produced more than 3 of is pretty safe ...i personally leave most of the yard karts  and kinda lean twards race karts but if its old and weird ill grab it just becouse... i like the weird stuff like the 2 karts i have posted on photo bucket for ID mxtwister177@yahoo.com i dont know what they are but they were cheap and i like riding them ..and i was gonna say earlyer dont worry if frank gets a kart with a motor and rides it i almost gurantee he will not stop at one ..!!!! happy karting to all ....cya .........P.S.im literly stuck at home .. rained for 9 hours straight yesterday and now since 5 am we got 10 inches of snow all i wanted to do was go to rochester 60 miles one way to chat with scott ...at victor mall ...its dave L. fault ..

Posted: Sun Mar 6th, 2011 04:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
flathead Frank

Mana: 
I think you all have your opinion(s) and you are both right and entitled to it......My point is that I have enjoyed buzzing around (street or track) since I was a kid (I'm 61 now) and have never had anything but fun....got the s*** scared out of me a couple of times, but never bad...I enjoy the little wheelers, that's all......mini's (I have 23 of them now) and karts (I have 6 and going up)....kinda crowding my old 356, but I love em'......all types of karts are acceptable to me from the yard/fun type to the vintage racers....my main kart is a pristine 60's Rupp Dart Kart Grand Prix with a mac 91 coupled to a Margay quick change gearbox...all stock for the day, including drum brake and skinny slicks....It's the look I like....I also just finished a kart you might all "cringe" at, it is an unknown 1960's vintage fun kart that I built up to give the appearance of a vintage racer for my grandson.....powder coated competetion orange, new alum seat pan and upolstery, and I used a 1970's era Arctic Cat "kitty cat" 2 cycle Kaw engine (60cc)......It goes plenty fast for the boy...and he has FUN!.....Yes, I spent too much money for such a kart as an investment in dollars, but the investment in memories and joy are priceless........Frank.

Posted: Sun Mar 6th, 2011 07:02 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
holy ,,frank i am so with you ..you wouldnt belive some of the stuff i put a motor on and rode ..motorized bicycles,lawn chairs,pedal tractors,things made outa wood with 4 tires i was kinda a bad kid nothin with wheels on it was safe when i was  around ..there was a gentaman on here Ron C. he stated  somethin like this the price you pay or put into something is what its worth to you ..not anyone else ..it went kinda  like that ..i see and wine about stuff on ebay with crazyest prices but ron had perfect point it musta been worth that much to a person if they paid it ..and its not the sellers fault ..

Posted: Mon Mar 7th, 2011 02:13 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Steve Welte

Mana: 
Lots of ways to look at this. Today my family was looking at my old 8x10 photos from 1960. I was running up over the top of another kart because i had the early dead axle Dart with the brakes that scrubbed on the sprocket. I learned to drive fast because you ran with your foot in front of the brake pedal because if you tried to use the brake you thhheeeeen remember you just lubed the chain and the sprocket and the brake lining. You shaved off speed with a slide or drift. The other Karts pictured were Evans Specials and Fox Duke Karts with MC 10's ,westbend 580's and Power Products. Guess what they all had scrub brakes on the tires and they were built to be racing Karts. Thats just the way it was. It changed quickly but that was pretty scary racing. As for the frames, they weren't very good then either. Most of them cracked and broke somewhere. My cousins 1960 Bug broke in 4 different places and the Palimini disc was worthless. I spent a night in the hospital and 30 some stitches later in the kneecap because of that brake. Heck I've never seen a Clarke in real but it can't be any worse than the first stuff

Posted: Mon Mar 7th, 2011 05:39 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
David Luciani
Administrator

Mana: 
WOW,

i get make one comment about my lack of knowledge and it's like a small war!!!:shock::shock::shock:
seriously there's good points on both sides i guess.
BUT i NEVER said i didn't OWN or wouldn't own a Clark kart.
as a matter of fact i do.

i think the big issue really is safety and in my experience the fun karts can't handle the big two strokes.
with a smaller two stroke or a 4 sroke they're fun and fine.
also it should be noted that some events won't let the so called yard karts run.
but if you're going to just have fun they are plentiful .

when i was a kid i always wanted a go kart , any go kart and clarks were one i'd wanted.
we never had that kinda money as my Family was big and there wasn't much cash.
Dad was always working too but that's how it was.
 i built stuff outta whatever but a steel framed motor powered go kart was my dream.

anyway a few years back when i first started with vintage i bought a clark kart amoung all the other stuff.
at the time we were just souping up old 4 bangers as i didn't know too much about two strokes or racing karts.
Soooo i made a few mods and that clark kart got pretty fast,i have friends that are scared of it.
not because it's fast "they are big bad bikers:P" but because on every corner you went in at speed it has a nasty habit of "bicycling"
you haven't lived till you go up on two wheels right next to the ground at forty or so.

basically it looks alot like a racer but at least the one i have has horrible geometry.
you can't get it to drift and the badly placed seat makes a jewel pad real important.
after less than a lap you'd be slid forward and fallin out while two wheeling a corner.
i'll have to say it's pretty sturdy though as i did alot of unscedualled 4 wheelin with it .

it was clearly unsafe but wicked fast so naturally it was my favorite kart till i found the gk1200.
after i got the gk and was able to drift through corners there was no going back.
i still have the clark but it's parked and i'd never consider putting a racing 2 stroke on it .
it's just wouldn't be safe and somebody would get hurt.

but to each their own.
if you're having fun go for it.

dave:cool:

Posted: Mon Mar 7th, 2011 08:15 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
flathead Frank

Mana: 
All good points Dave....I don't think I would install a "gnarley" 2 stroke on my grandsons Clark kart either...best for him to keep to the small two and four strokes for power units and stay on the road.....I've been sideways on a corner also and it ain't comfy!......my point is (and was) allways to have fun doing your thing......my thing is on wheels....fast or not so fast, doesn't matter......whether it's vintage karts, mini's or the old american iron I cut my teeth on and still own....I think members like Dave, Steve and Steve are true enthusiest's also, and that's the kind of people I joined this site for....Thanks for the comments, history, and a good laugh....Flathead Frank. (ULH, servi and others)

Posted: Mon Mar 7th, 2011 02:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
dave ..probably bicycled cuz dang 4 stroke weights 3 times more than a 2 smoker and it didnt have enough power to drift ..heheheh  lol..

Posted: Mon Mar 7th, 2011 03:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
hey guys ,,i just had someone offer me a clark 440 cyclops ..??? anyone have any pictures ..person thinks might be a race kart ..??

Posted: Mon Mar 7th, 2011 03:50 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Steve M.

Good memory! That kart did run at our track. It IS a Clarke kart-I know cuz I sold it to him.

I found a short video of the kart in action    http://www.youtube.com/user/modified32    Now before you watch the video REMEMBER:  This is a YARD kart-so it's NOT going to handle very good according to everybody, PLUS it is using the CHENG SHIN skinny tires so I'm sure it'll be all over the track!

ENJOY!  I'll let the video speak for itself!         Carl

Posted: Mon Mar 7th, 2011 03:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
Carl Haydt

Mana: 
Steve M.

Ebay # 170611256450  "Cyclops" kart

Carl

Posted: Mon Mar 7th, 2011 05:38 pm
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
flathead Frank

Mana: 
It looks like the drivers of those karts are having a blast....pure fun, not real quick, but pure fun.

Current time is 12:41 pmPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

Vintage Karts Forums > General > Karting Info > Clark mfg co Go Kart question

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems, INC.