Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

go kart 1600 (discussion)
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue May 16th, 2006 02:12 am

1st Post
Kevin Saulter

Mana: 
hello I'm in. I'm have what I beleive is a 1960's go kart 600 does any have any info on this kart? I'm new to vinatge racing .

Posted: Wed May 17th, 2006 02:53 pm

2nd Post
Russell Smith

Mana: 
Kevin,

You MUST mean a Go Kart 1600!  After 1962 and the GK 1200 model the Go Kart Mfg. Company went tits up.  Flexo made a model using the Go Kart name and called it the 1600.  That's probably what you have.  Nice little machine.

Posted: Wed May 17th, 2006 07:53 pm

3rd Post
Kevin Saulter

Mana: 
Thanks Russel  Do you know where I can get a picture of one, I'm in the middle of restoring it for Quincy.

Kevin

Posted: Fri Jun 2nd, 2006 04:31 am

4th Post
Vince Hughes

Mana: 
Russ, you guys are so sharp, I dont get to say this often enough: WRONG! Flexo bought the stuff and made karts called Flexo SS1600 (could be 1600SS), also carried on the BigBear Scrambler line. Fox bought the name 'GoKart', and came out with the GoKart 1600, which looked just like the Fox Flyweight, probably in different color. Also I think it was '63, could a been '64. Carry on...

Last edited on Fri Jun 2nd, 2006 04:34 am by Vince Hughes

Posted: Fri Jun 2nd, 2006 07:39 am

5th Post
Mark Havery

Mana: 
Thank you, Thank you Vince.

Mark

Posted: Fri Jun 2nd, 2006 04:20 pm

6th Post
Russell Smith

Mana: 
Ummm, and THANK YOU MARK, for thanking Vince.  But now I'm all confused.  I've seen that CONTRAPTION that Fox slapped the Go Kart name on, but it sure do look like a Paddock Basher and not a serious track contender.  And, that Flexo 1600 what-cha-ma-call-it must have been manufactured from tooling that was purloined from the Fox Factory.    Of course, my mind is definately NOT nearly as sharp as it used to be, and all this just may be a dillusion.

Posted: Fri Jun 2nd, 2006 07:10 pm

7th Post
Dean Seavers

Mana: 
Russ-

Nope, you're getting screwed up in the translation. Fox got the name and logo and Flexo got the tooling. So Flexo couldn't sell Go Kart 1600s and Fox couldn't sell Go Karts that looked anything like the ones Duffy made. That's the long and short of it.

I always thought the Fox Flyweight with the box mounts were sold as Go Karts- which just seems like a weird deal, because Fox had established htmeselves by then, and were doing fine. I think the whole Fox deal was more about flipping the bird and kicking Go Kart when they were down because earlier Go Kart had used legal channels to squash Fox from using Go-Boy Karts with the argument that it was akin to trying to sell Coca-boy Cola. So when Go Kart went under, I think Fox went in for the kill as payback. (Adopting my best Jeff Troy accent) "Go Kart!? I got yah Go Kart right heah!"

And now I've been the one to make Havery roll his eyes with karting conjecture and minutea!

Dean

Posted: Fri Jun 2nd, 2006 08:46 pm

8th Post
Ron Cubel

Mana: 
Dean, The FOX "GoKart" had a straight front axel not the fox type.  You need to look at the cover of one of the Karting worlds in 1963 think maybe Oct?

The flexo 1600 ( I have one here totally original looks just like a 1200 GK someone tried to cut in two and stopped at the rear bumper(-:  

Ron

Posted: Fri Jun 2nd, 2006 08:50 pm

9th Post
Russell Smith

Mana: 
Aw Dean, Havery rolls his eyes everytime I spout minutia.  Join the club!!! 

The photos I've received from FLEXO 1600 owners are definately Go Kart inspired items......right down to the Optional "Racing Team" pleated upholstery.   Albeit, the frames have that god-awful cut in the  rear section.

Seems to me, not only did Fox kick GK when it was down, but it plastered the name on that model 2100  monstrosity. My only hope is that Duffy was laughing all the way to the bank when that thing was introduced.

Posted: Fri Jun 2nd, 2006 08:57 pm

10th Post
Mark Havery

Mana: 
My brain is going to explode with useless information.

Russ, are any of your karts ready for Medford?????? Anything??

Mark

Posted: Fri Jun 2nd, 2006 09:01 pm

11th Post
Dean Seavers

Mana: 
Ron, as you can guess I am low on Fox knowledge- although as you know, I can tell you that I know enough to be able to say that painting one is a pain in the butt!

I just remember seeing the ad that says "Go Kart" and shows the rear of the kart with the box mount prominent.

I don't think there's much laughing all the way anywhere when your company goes bankrupt. I believe Fox got the name and logo from recievership, not as a licencing agreement with Mr. Livingsone and co. I think Duffy just went back to the muffler shop in Monrovia and carried on.

Dean

Posted: Fri Jun 2nd, 2006 10:25 pm

12th Post
Russell Smith

Mana: 
Well,

I was planning on bringing my NOS Anzani powered Standun Cutlass to Medford, but I've been told that liquid cooled motors are a No-No these days.  Also, since the  recent fluctuation in value, that has placed the value of a HellCat in the six figure range, this thing is now worth more than the Hope diamond.  Besides, I can't afford another speeding ticket!! ;-)

Posted: Mon Jun 5th, 2006 12:18 am

13th Post
Jeff Troy

Mana: 
Hi, Guys,

I haven't a clue, but I bought a rusted out Spitfire frame for parts and measurements from Gary Emilio in New Hampshire. We couldn't connect, so he dropped it off with a guy in Jersey -- tenor sax player named Jimmy Satz -- for me to pick up when I went into the Jersey office. I visited Jimmy the next week, and when I picked up my Spitwad, he showed me his in-the-flesh Flexo 1600.

Looked just like a Go Kart 1200 but had the split rear rail. Apart from that, memory says that it looked like it had rolled of the GK line. Nice kart.

See "youse" guys in Quincy.

BTW, my 1960 Go Kart 800/MC-6 is finished, and I'll most likely be using it for the practice rounds. It's a lot roomier than my Spitwads - an' id don' gotz no bumper, at all!

WR...

Posted: Tue Jun 6th, 2006 01:18 am

14th Post
Tom Thorin

Mana: 
I had a conversation with Duffy last year about Flexo products and the 1600 specifically.  I mentioned the facility at the Flexo location didn’t look big enough to actually make karts there.  I asked Duffy if by chance all the Flexo 1600’s were in fact left over Go Kart stock and he replied in the affirmative.  I used to ride by 5180 Venice Blvd every day back in ’64 but never stopped in.  The place is still there and is just a small building.  Flexo was kind of a clearing house for excess kart parts after the big bust in karting in the early ‘60’s.

Current time is 08:14 am

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems, INC.