Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

MIG wire
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 14th, 2017 12:17 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Dan Dettmann

Mana: 
Before I break out my 40 year stick welder to hard surface a crank, is there a mig wire that is up to the task? I guess rods would be cheaper than a whole reel of wire but not as convenient in my case.

Posted: Sat Jul 15th, 2017 12:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Terry Sullivan

Mana: 
Dan,

Just wondering what you are doing - Hard Surfacing?
I switched to TIG a while back.
It is almost like soldering. Little or no grinding after you are done.

terry

Posted: Sat Jul 15th, 2017 03:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Dan Dettmann

Mana: 
Terry,
Remembering back a few years when a forum member, who evidently was a very good welder, received all kinds of flak for admitting that he welded broken flywheel fins back on, I guess I will pass on revealing what I am doing. I've checked out the hardfacing wire available and decided not to go that route since it wasn't available in small spools and also the makeup didn't look safe to be using indoors (which I will need to do) with a questionable ventilation system. I'm leaning toward having it thermal sprayed.

I haven't tried TIG though it's on my mind. I find myself reaching for the oxy/acetylene torch more than anything else since it's the first thing I learned to weld with. The modern MIGs are nice, almost too easy. When repairing a fellow's Bug frame recently with one I actually had to practice to make bad welds so I could match the originals on the frame. Many years ago I asked a neighbor who was a welding inspector at A.O.Smith (they made car frames) to teach me how to arc weld. After about two weeks of evenings welding various metals in all sorts of contorted positions he declared in his German accent that my welds looked like “gans sheisse”. I thought it was a compliment at the time!

Posted: Sat Jul 15th, 2017 04:04 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Terry Sullivan

Mana: 
I think that translate into something like "complete crap".
I wouldn't have a big problem welding fins back on, as long as they were covered with a good shroud!
I had a mig for years and it worked well, but I spent a lot of time grinding the welds to look better.
With a TIG, you control how much filler is applied and you can go back and smooth things out, Again, sort of like soldering.
It sounds like you are 'building up a surface'?
I am aware of applications that sort of 'spray' metal onto a part, but I have not actually tried to have it done.
Good luck!

Current time is 02:15 am

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.