Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Engine Wanted for ‘73 Margay Concept

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Engine Wanted for ‘73 Margay Concept
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 30th, 2021 07:04 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Kino

Mana: 
Hello guys I’m looking for an engine for my kart, any suggestions or sources is appreciated.

I’ll post a pic shortly.

Thank you for the support

Attachment: 38DA7CC2-39A6-4731-AB0D-32F3214D2A61.jpeg (Downloaded 40 times)

Last edited on Fri Apr 30th, 2021 10:42 pm by Kino

Posted: Fri Apr 30th, 2021 10:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Kino

Mana: 
# 2

Attachment: D89C8B95-0B60-4846-BB33-1C5DE8C7C2A6.jpeg (Downloaded 39 times)

Last edited on Fri Apr 30th, 2021 10:44 pm by Kino

Posted: Tue May 11th, 2021 03:49 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Joe Drabicki
Blackhawk Kart Guru in Florida

Mana: 
Hello Kino!

Welcome to the site. You got on here a month ago and nobody has responded. That is a surprise. Most guys are ready to help out a new member. I have not been on here in a few months or I would have responded sooner.

That is a nice looking Margay Concept. It looks like everything is there, so you have a great start to a really nice kart.

The most popular engine for that era kart would have been to put a McCulloch MC91 or MC93 on it. Both engines are 100cc 2-strokes and in stock configuration put out about 12 hp with a GEM box muffler. When you are ready for more power, put a header on it with a pipe exhaust system, about 15hp. Even more power can be gained with a custom engine build, porting the ports. That gets expensive. Add an alcohol carb and you can really go fast. Your engine bill goes up fast too.

Clutches are to be considered. A dry Horstman Rev-Grip clutch works good with a stock engine for a beginner. Those clutches are almost zero maintenance. Just oil the bushing on the crankshaft and oil the chain. When you go with a pipe exhaust and more power, you go to the wet oil bath clutches that are adjustable for the slip at which rpm they engage. These require more maintenance.

Prices for Macs (another word for McCullochs) start around $300ish for one needing a complete rebuild and go to the $600 to $700 range for a rebuilt engine needing to add a clutch and chainguard. There are variations on what exterior parts an engine might need, depending on the seller. Prices will vary.

Put a WTB (Want To Buy) ad in the for sale section on this site asking for an MC91 or MC93. Somebody will probably respond with photos and contact info. If you buy an engine needing a rebuild, ask around for engine builders. There are a bunch.

Good luck in your engine search!

Kind Regards,
Joe

Posted: Tue May 11th, 2021 08:45 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Kino

Mana: 
Joe thank you very much, I really appreciate the feedback and advice. It means a lot as this is new to me. Not wrenching, but go karts. Maybe like most guys, I haven’t had one since I was a kid and that was in the 70’s and 80’s. Take care and I’ll see you around.

Posted: Tue May 11th, 2021 12:04 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Richard Engel

Mana: 
Kino check your tubes in the 4 tires, First time out in Batavia 2002 we blew 2 , Nice kart, have a safe fun time in Karting meet friends Richie .

Posted: Tue May 11th, 2021 02:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Kino

Mana: 
Good morning Richie. Thank you for that advice!

Current time is 09:03 pm

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Engine Wanted for ‘73 Margay Concept

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.