Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > Karting Info > 1960? Simplex go karts

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

1960? Simplex go karts
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 4th, 2010 01:22 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Boyd Maloney

Mana: 
Hi guys, my name is Boyd I have recently purchased  a kart and need help identifying it. I have researched as much as I know how and have come to the determination that it could possible be a 1959 or 1960 simplex. Is there anyone out there that has a simplex type kart or does anyone know anyone that is an authority on these karts? I dont have any pic. yet  but should have some to share in the near future . this kart has an enclosed axle like the simplex karts but doesn"t have a rear bumper like some I"ve seen in photos of other {simp.} The bumper could have been removed at some time , does look like it had something welded there at some point.  no seat cushion with  this kart .the seat itself has three holes on ea side rail on inside from mfg.  I have never seen another simp. kart  without its cushion so I don"t know  if its a real deal or not.  What are some trade mark characteristics  to look for on this kart?   also noticed on pic. of other simplex karts the front bumper was connected  to a top rail running horizontally  -  from seat to front axle. This kart does not have that top rail , Do any  models not have that top rail?  Or are there other vintage karts that have the enclosed axle deal? any help will be greatly appreciated  I am not new to karting  only new to the vintage karting scene. I have raced karts from the early seventies but anything older I need help with.

Posted: Thu Mar 4th, 2010 03:06 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Eddie Katcher

Mana: 
Chase down Tom Thorin in California. He is THE MAN on all matters Simplex. Consider joining us for the fun in Barnesville, GA later this month. Bring your mystery kart down. I will have several there in their "post rescue, pre restoration state."

John McCorvey, Atlanta
1960 Putt Nik Leo
1960 Simplex Challenger Mark IV
1960 Simplex Challenger Mark V

Posted: Thu Mar 4th, 2010 03:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
David Luciani
Administrator

Mana: 
hi Boyd and welcome.

standard spiel please change your handle to your name.
we're all friends here.

on simplex you should get pix asap
there's no way to figure out what you have without them.
you can check mcbobs site he has a bunch of pix
here's a single tube simplex to look at
http://macbobaust.com/challenger3.html

and this'll get you to his list.
http://macbobaust.com/kart_brands2.html

here are the links to the four vintage sites that are also on the net
http://www.kartingarchives.com/
http://www.rearenginekarts.com/
http://vintagekartclubofamerica.com/
http://www.vintagepowersport.com/vka/

anyway again welcome and get us some pix

dave:cool:

Posted: Sat Mar 16th, 2013 11:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
hello everyone .. i just got off phone with the gentalman with the simplex .. i have pictures and info ..he also has a very very clean 100% orig untouched homelite spitfire with W/B 580 ..they been ridin that one the simplex needs rings only 60lbs compression .. karts came from an estate sale been inside under plastic for 40 yrs .. both karts are clean clean .. 2200 or best offer for simplex .. prolly about the same money for homelight ..:)

Posted: Sun Mar 17th, 2013 12:34 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
dcljr09

Mana: 
just picked up a very nice simplex challenger 1960s all orig.unmolseted all stickers are good the gas tank is mint no rust motor is a west bend dual brakes everything works paint is orig. seat has no rips motor is 100% complete has good spark wont start think it has low compresson but the kart is all there never been altered even has the orig.rubbers on gas and brake pedals i wanna sell this kart im in concord nh 603-290-3139 i also have a 60s homelite spitfire in mint shape even nicer than the challenger and the spitfire runs like new both are for sale looking for 2200 for the simplex challenger the rims are not even scratched the homelite is even nicer orig. excel.shape and runs first pull and is very fast looking for $2000 cash talks thanks

Last edited on Sun Mar 17th, 2013 12:39 am by

Posted: Sun Mar 17th, 2013 12:40 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
i forgot your name .. can you tell these guys atleast your first name .. you seemed like a nice guy and fair to deal with ..       good luck with your sales .. you have a couple nice pieces ..   :)

Posted: Sun Mar 17th, 2013 01:31 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
John Phippen

Mana: 
Steve,which challenger does he have?

Posted: Sun Mar 17th, 2013 03:54 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
i think its a mark 15 duel side rails enclosed axle engine mounts ahead of axle corregaded bolt on floor pan ..mint tank and usable seat all 100% orig ..

Posted: Sun Mar 17th, 2013 03:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
go on craigslist NH. and type in simplex .. theres pictures on there and all contact info ..

Posted: Mon Mar 18th, 2013 02:54 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Russ Smith

Mana: 
MK 15's had "quick change" engine mounts that positioned the engine over the axle.

Posted: Mon Mar 18th, 2013 03:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Steve Miller

Mana: 
thanks russ ., i thought that was the 16,s only ..    im not real up on simplex karts i have 4 and everyone is different .. :shock:

Posted: Mon Mar 18th, 2013 03:40 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
ken moss

Mana: 
http://nh.craigslist.org/rvs/3685765736.html

Current time is 05:03 am

Vintage Karts Forums > General > Karting Info > 1960? Simplex go karts

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems, INC.