Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Selling Prices of Margay Series 24 Star Wheels

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Selling Prices of Margay Series 24 Star Wheels
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Feb 22nd, 2021 12:27 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Joe Drabicki
Blackhawk Kart Guru in Florida

Mana: 
Hey Fellow Kart People,

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let's have a discussion about Margay Series 24 Star Wheel Prices. Comment freely but fairly.

WORST CONDITION: What do you think the price for the most beat up four wheels on the planet should be?

DECENT RUNNERS: What do you think the price for a decent set of four runners should be?

SHOW KART: What do you think the price for a really nice set of wheels, show kart worthy but not perfect, polished versus not polished, with almost no scars should be?

NOS WHEELS: What do you think the price for a set of NOS wheels should be?

Condition is important. I define a decent set of runners as not the ugliest set of banged up rims and scarred hubs on the planet. They do have some battle scars from competitive contact on the track, dings, scrapes, some minor dents, dirt, oil, old silicone because somebody didn't have a tubeless kit, scratches, peeling paint on the hubs...

I re-condition my wheels I find locally before I list them for sale. I either sand blast the hubs OR use stripper and thinner to clean up the hubs. I wash everything. I remove old bearings, get rid of bad hardware. When I sell wheels, sometimes I include hardware and bearings, sometimes I don't.

I have a set of wheels for sale now. Thank you to everyone whom has taken a look. They have been for sale for three weeks now. My wheels usually sell in less than a week. I think $200 plus $25 for shipping is a fair price. I have been selling wheel sets at this price for the past 7 to 8 years with no problems. What do you think the going price should be for a decent set of runners?

Kind Regards,

Joe

Posted: Tue Feb 23rd, 2021 12:26 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Chuck Lipka

Mana: 
At the risk of being "flamed" here's my take.  I have no connection or involvement, and I'm not a shill for Mr. Drabecki (sp). 

Your experience(s) with vintage stuff....in this case, your wheels, is (to me) simply another indication of the overall down turn in the vintage stuff.  And it doesn't appear to be just parts.   Karts have really slumped......I have 3 "sought after" brands that are sitting collecting dust.  Likewise with a couple of Bonbright prepped 820's.   Multiples of Nylites are sitting, even when offered with new bearings.
I know the $$$ I have in these things and for right now, I'm not interested in a multiple hundreds of dollars loss as far as what I have in them. 

Additionally, the Chinese virus has certainly curtailed events and activities,reducing the number of spectators and new wanna be participants.  Hell,I haven't been out to participate in 2 years.......health, travel costs, and several family weddings are factors that can't be ignored.
Finally, we are ALL aging......I turned 71 and am hoping for a few more healthy years.  In the last 6 months or so, we've lost multiples of longtime well known pioneers....Pearl Gamble is the first to come to mind.   Apologies for the others whose names escape me.  The "youngsters" and upcoming generations are for the most part, not interested in our old junk.  I say this because I see it in the nostalgia drag race stuff I frequent.  The youngsters have limited at best interest in our old crap. Even though us old farts opened the door and paved the way for the modern stuff, the old stuff is for us old farts.  And likewise, Ihave no interest in the modern/current day stuff, karts/hotrods/drag racing stuff.
I'm not gonna give my stuff away, but reasonable offers are always considered/welcome.  If it's still here when my time comes, call Marcella.....might do ok with her to clean it out......but be prepared, she KNOWS how many $$$ are in it.
My opinion only.
Chuck

Posted: Tue Feb 23rd, 2021 12:48 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Joe Drabicki
Blackhawk Kart Guru in Florida

Mana: 
Hey Chuck,

Thank you for your opinions and points of view on the topic of the state of our vintage kart world. All of your comments gives us much to ponder.

Does anyone else want to express your thoughts?

Kind Regards,
Joe

Posted: Fri Feb 26th, 2021 07:54 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Frank Payne

Mana: 
Hey Chuck, if you think the prices are down, go to bring a trailer. Stupid money for some karts

Current time is 04:39 pm

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Selling Prices of Margay Series 24 Star Wheels

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.