Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Caretta frame alloy

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Caretta frame alloy
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 15th, 2020 06:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Brett

Mana: 
I'm beginning to restore a 1963 Caretta that had the seat hoop moved in the 60s and the frame promptly cracked around the welds. My welder/fabricator wants to know if there is any information on the frame material so we can repair it properly. We are guessing it's not mild steel, given the wall thickness and cracking around the weld, maybe CrMo?? The upside to the cracked frame is that the Kart was preserved as-was with the original Mac-8, and upholstery, both in reasonable condition.

Brett Engel
Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted: Sun Oct 18th, 2020 11:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Tom Smith

Mana: 
Caretta > Mild steel DOM. I'd use ER70S-2 filler.

ER70S-2 (GTAW) TIG
Description: Mild Steel Welding Alloy
A premium, multiple deoxidized, wire. Produces high quality welds in most grades of carbon steels. E70S-2 is a triple deoxidized wire which provides defect free weld deposits when properly used on most carbon steels. It is used especially for pipe welding. ER70S-2 Conforms to AWS A5.18 ER70S-2

Last edited on Sun Oct 18th, 2020 11:32 pm by Tom Smith

Posted: Mon Oct 19th, 2020 12:40 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Brett

Mana: 
Tom:Thank you! I'm taking your info to my fabricator that keeps my Lotus in one piece ;-)... It will be my AZ summer project for 2021, only a few missing pieces, motor mount and clutch...
Thank you !Brett Engel

Current time is 10:01 pm

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Caretta frame alloy

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.