Vintage Karts Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Tubing specs on vintage karts?

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Tubing specs on vintage karts?
 Moderated by: Kevin Gagne
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2020 02:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Chas Randolph

Mana: 
First post here - be gentle. My question is, what type of tubing was typically used on early 60's or 70's kart frames? (Bug, Rupp Dart Kart, Clark, etc.). I'm thinking 1" OD? Not sure about the wall thickness. Mild steel tubing? DOM? CroMoly? Any feedback is appreciated.

Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2020 07:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Joe Drabicki
Blackhawk Kart Guru in Florida

Mana: 
Hello Chas!

Welcome to the site.

Do you plan to build your own kart frame based on an old vintage kart design? There are a few guys on here whom have done that.

Iffin you are fortunate enough to find an old kart technical manual from the timeframe of your desired kart, you will see the 1" tube you mentioned with a minimum wall thickness of .083", made of a minimum of mild steel. The early 60s they had a few karts using 3/4" tube and 1" tube. They were exploring what the specs should be as they went.

There were even some karts made of aluminum tube to the same specs for 1" tube as above. Early Blackhawk karts were steel frames, then they used half steel and half aluminum.

Could you please give us an idea of what you plan on doing? We can give you more guidance with more information.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Posted: Fri Jul 31st, 2020 12:05 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Chas Randolph

Mana: 
Joe,
Thanks for replying. Yes - I'm kicking around the idea of building a replica of a vintage kart. Not an exact replica but I really like the looks of the karts that I mentioned above. My older brother raced a Bug kart in the 60's and I loved that thing (never got to drive it). I built a kart for my son about 20 years ago. Used an engine from a Honda 110 ATC, shifter and all. Also used the back wheels & tires. Here is a pic of my grandson ripping around in it. (hope it's OK to post a non-vintage kart picture). Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll keep my eyes open for a vintage frame around west central Ohio.

Chas

Attachment: Tate 071919.JPG (Downloaded 67 times)

Posted: Fri Jul 31st, 2020 02:31 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Joe Drabicki
Blackhawk Kart Guru in Florida

Mana: 
Hey Chas,

Thanks for posting the photo of your creation, no harm in that. It helps the rest of us know where you have come from and where you are aiming to go.

Here are some suggestions on where to hunt for vintage karts. You have probably already thought of most of these.

If you look back through some of the for sale pages on this site, you might find a guy selling one of the karts you want. You could also place a WTB Want to Buy ad in the for sale section saying what brands you are seeking. You may get a response or two.

I am always searching Craigslist in my area, Letgo and Facebook Marketplace for old vintage karts. Start looking, they are still out there, available, like mining for gem stones.

One of the problems in hunting for vintage karts is that most people don't even know what they have for sale. They will list it as a go cart, go kart, go-kart, go-cart, gocart, gokart or even a buggy. Search by all of these variations. Rarely will a vintage kart be listed for sale by it's original name, maybe only if it still has an original decal on it.

Years of modifications and what WAS an old racing kart from the 60s or 70s, today has become young Bobby's yard kart with a Briggs on it instead of the fire breathing two stroke engine that should be on there. It has morphed some extra tubing for bumpers or a roll over cage, larger wheels and tires, extra tubes here and there, lost the original seat and Momma made a new one that looks nothing like the original. I saw one of these monster karts in South Carolina on Facebook Marketplace. I could tell it was originally a Rupp Dart Kart under all that yuckiness. Sad, truly. Only $200 to rescue it.

It is worth a shot at looking at small engine repair and lawn mower places asking about old two stroke engines and go karts. I have turned up stuff that way. Another place is your local junk yards and metal recycling places. Some of my best vintage kart finds have come from a recycling yard.

Good luck in searching. If you build a kart, post your progress in the general section. A bunch of guys will be willing to give you some pointers or ideas.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Last edited on Fri Jul 31st, 2020 02:42 am by Joe Drabicki

Current time is 11:35 pm

Vintage Karts Forums > General > General > Tubing specs on vintage karts?

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.