Vintage Karts Forums Home 

Please register to gain full access of the forum. When you register please use your given name.handles and fake names will be deleted. if you are deleted you can re-register with your real name.

Moderated by: Kevin Gagne  
AuthorPost
Steve Lovett

Mana: 
Just picked this up last night. Seller said it was a 73 model. It's a Margay. I'm leaning toward Cheetah, but in searching for pictures I haven't​ found one identical yet.

Attachment: IMG_20170527_064823_01.jpg (Downloaded 165 times)

Tom Dandes

Mana: 
I have the sprint and a MK3 and yes they are different. It looks like they changed the uprights for the steering, steering shaft and wheel. Added a front porch and earlier Margay pedals. The motor mount area has been modified for the brigs also.

Steve Lovett

Mana: 
That would make sense why I couldn't find a similar steering upright. The wheels and pedals both say Margay. The engine mount will need alot of work to accomadate a different engine I'm planning on going with.

Steve Lovett

Mana: 
Upon further inspection this morning the steering wheel mount looks like factory welds. The front wheels are offset as well.

Attachment: IMG_20170527_090123.jpg (Downloaded 161 times)

Steve Lovett

Mana: 
Front end

Attachment: IMG_20170527_090143.jpg (Downloaded 162 times)

tommy kelley

Mana: 
its a margay "sidewinder"
"sidewinder" being the model
you wouldnt happen to be chuck's neighbor would you?

Steve Lovett

Mana: 
Does Chuck live in Illinois?... Lol

tommy kelley

Mana: 
yep
hung out with him and heather yesterday
i live in gurnee
tom

Steve Lovett

Mana: 
How funny. Yup, that's me.

Tom Day

Mana: 
Looks like someone built this one copying some of the cheetah's features and using Margay parts. I have owned and currently own several Cheetah's,this is not a Cheetah.

Steve Lovett

Mana: 
Tom Day wrote:
Looks like someone built this one copying some of the cheetah's features and using Margay parts. I have owned and currently own several Cheetah's,this is not a Cheetah.

Interesting, whoever did it must be one heck of a welder.

Marc Ciannavei

Mana: 
Steve, can you get more pictures of the rear of the kart? it seems to be the most unusual feature of the frame the way it kicks up at the rear axle.

marc

Steve Lovett

Mana: 
Marc Ciannavei wrote:
Steve, can you get more pictures of the rear of the kart? it seems to be the most unusual feature of the frame the way it kicks up at the rear axle.

marc

Took a few over the weekend. I can get more if needed.
http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/stevelovett38/library/Go%20Kart

Marc Ciannavei

Mana: 
I am inclined to think it is a home built. Most of the welds look stick welded. There are some Margay parts on it (wheels, pedals, rear bumper and looks like a cheetah seat).
There were may karts made with this similar chassis architecture: Margay Cheetah, Lancer, Laguna, Hartman (early ones), Rice Bandit (early),and Charger by Michiana motors. This isn't one of them.

marc

Steve Lovett

Mana: 
The front axle/spindle mounts is what confuses me. The welds are smoothed and painted as if smoothed with filler.

Marc Ciannavei

Mana: 
I thought that also. I am not aware of any manufacturer grinding and filling welds. Some karter's used to do it themselves. It could be the front end is from a manufactured kart but heavily modified. Perhaps an old endure laydown kart. No Matter its history you can still have fun with it. Check the frame for cracks first.

UltraBB 1.171 Copyright © 2007-2024 Data 1 Systems, INC.